Re: overlapping stateful helpers

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 01:01:11 +0200

On Sunday 20 April 2003 00.13, Robert Collins wrote:

> > I'd also like to see the "overlapping" helper request support in
>
> Ditto. BTW I think the stateful overlapping concept may be uhm,
> difficult. (We can start a separate thread to discuss that).

I did not see any major difficulties in the concept when doing the
patch, just a bit more code changes than I had time for. With the
overlapping concept the item to bind to the state is a helper request
channel/slot, not a full helper. There is no need to change any
higher level helper protocols because of this, the patch just adds a
layer below the current protocols, indicating which channel/slot the
request is sent on. This changes a bit of code as the concept of this
indirection needs to be added so the stateful "clients" have
something to bind to..

Note: The current "singlethreaded" helpers only have a single unnamed
request channel, but it still is a channel/slot in the internals of
Squid with the patch.