Re: squid cache acceleration

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 25 Apr 2003 12:25:39 +0200

fre 2003-04-25 klockan 10.49 skrev atit_ldce:

> can any one tell me does squid provides object prefetching facility?

No.

> if not on which part of squid code i should concentrate to add this feature...

First you should carefully think on the problem from a HTTP perspective,
and decide on what policy to use on what to prefetch and when, and how
to deal with objects which are large or not cacheable, or requests
received while the prefetch is still running.

You also need to consider Cookies, authentication and other aspects
which may make the eventual requests sent by the browser for the
embedded objects different from what you expect.

Plain dumb prefetching is only likely to cause bandwidth oveeruse and
waste for little or no gain.

Henrik Nordstrom <hno@marasystems.com>
MARA Systems AB