Re: Squid 3 features

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 02:00:54 +0200

On Wednesday 07 May 2003 00.45, Robert Collins wrote:
> Ok, are there any features that folk want in squid-3 that aren't
> there already?

"overlapping" helper lookups. I think we should have this at least for
external_acl and other simple helpers, but preferably also for
stateful helpers.

The patch today only exists for 2.5, and is not fully working for
stateful helpers.

I'd also like to se a cleanup of certain squid.conf directives which
is a bit too arcane today.

One example is reply_body_max_size where size factor should be added
and the allow/deny column deleted, but there is more examples of
these odd things.

Another is always/never_direct. A single acl driven tri-state
directive (direct,auto,parent) doing the function of both is more
natural I think.

A third is request routing among multiple cache peer.
cache_peer_access makes sense to programmers who have got stuck in
logics and boolean thinking, but nobody else. Also I imagine the
current scheme gets very inefficient if the number of peers and
access rules are large.

A review of the squid.conf syntax is needed to identify more of these
stupid things.

The change of major version is a very good opportunity for making
cleanups like this.