Re: Squid NTLMSSP helpers

From: Andrew Bartlett <abartlet@dont-contact.us>
Date: 11 May 2003 21:59:47 +1000

On Sun, 2003-05-11 at 21:47, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On Sunday 11 May 2003 07.02, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> > > Maybe. The helpers live mostly their own life, in many aspects
> > > separate from the main Squid release.
> >
> > Yes, well Samba's ntlm_auth lives in samba.org CVS :-)
>
> And if we want to have this shipped with Squid for some reason we will
> need to import it... but today I see no reason why the Samba helpers
> should be shipped with Squid, these better belong in Samba until the
> Samba side of things have settled down.
>
> If Samba at some point makes a public and stable API for NTLMSSP then
> the helper glue for using that API may belong in Squid, as the main
> part of such helper then becomes understanding the Squid helper
> protocol, not NTLMSSP.

The way I figure it is that it's easier for Samba to track a relatively
simple, documented, stdio interface, than it would be for Squid to track
Samba's guts :-).

I intend to ship ntlm_auth as part of Samba long-term, due to the fact
that other projects will rely on it. It has been designed such that
it's command line interface should be compatible into the future, while
still allowing new helper protocols to be tacked on over time.

I figure if you can manage to give me a heads-up before you change the
squid->helper protocol, we should be able to keep current Samba releases
working with current Squid releases without particular pain.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet@pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet@samba.org