Feature Request for 3 release

From: Joel Wiramu Pauling <aenertia@dont-contact.us>
Date: 26 Jun 2003 10:20:31 +1200

Hi there,

I have one major complaint about squid. I manage an intranet and I need
to be able to quickly and succinctly see whats in the cache and,
sometimes pull objects from the cache (you would be amazed at home many
people will download important docs, and have computers die...), as well
as monitoring unwanted sites etc.

I have found a great little utility.. but's it's slow.. dosen't work
with a running cache, and it's output is hard to control. It's called
purge, (you may or may not be aware of it.)
The authors site is
here:http://www.cache.dfn.de/DFN-Cache/Development/purge.html (GNU I
believe)

What I want to see is a search cache option built into the proxy itself
(or through cachemgr.cgi). A nice web interface to this tool would be
great, being able to select individual sites for perusal through the
cache itself. And pluck items, as well as do regex search, Add ACL's all
from a webpage.

I know some of this functionality (especially the sort of add/site
blocking) is available through packages like squidguard, but being able
to browse the current cache and purge/pluck object would ease site
managers life alot

This seems like basic functionality to me, and a lot of people agree,
that this would be a huge benefit to all squid users out there.

I don't know what you guys can do with these suggestions, (If I wern't
so busy this trimester and wasn't such a dunce with C/C++ I would
gladdly help develop this, as it seems fairly simple to implement (CGI
web wise... I have no idea about the internals of Squid, all I do know
that these features are present in some form).

Anyway as you move towards a stable 3 release this would be a great
thing to add.

Thanks for listening and continue the great work, on one of the finest
pieces of software (fullstop) available to anyone who uses a network.

Kind regards

Joel Pauling

Victoria University of Wellington
New Zealand