Re: Feature Request for 3 release

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 18:34:27 -0500

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> To this I agree, but there is technical reasons making it not that
> suitable to do within Squid.
>
> What is a viable approach is to add a second database for this purpose
> in parallell to Squid, keeping track of the URLs in the cache. This
> database can be built automatically by tracking the store.log log
> file and feeding the data into a database of choice. For tracking the
> store.log file the per File::Tail module is very suitable, but some
> database design is probably needed to get a database which can be
> searched in interesting ways.

I wrote a perl utility to do this for a client about a year ago. It
records to an SQLite database and works fine for what it does.

However, we ended up using a different method of maintaining their cache
(we triggered purges on site object update, rather than purging
subdirectories), and so the development was never finished. It will
need work to be useful, and I simply don't have time to look at it at
the moment--but I'll be happy to forward it to anyone who wants to work
on it. (Really, believe me when I say you will have to code to make it
useful for you. But the database maintenence code is complete and
reliable.)

It is my opinion that the 'slow' purge tool you have referenced is more
useful for general use.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.