Re: direct/from cache traffic

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 14:58:29 +0200

On Sunday 06 July 2003 15.09, l4vim@go2.pl wrote:

> I want to make filters to make possible no limited transfer for
> data from cache and limited for data from Internet (that there
> aren't on cache).

Applications cannot set the nfmark value, but they can set the ToS.
Squid currently have no controls for setting the ToS of client
connections, but adding such control should not be very hard. I think
a number of people have done so also for various shaping purposes,
but no generic method has been persented yet suitable for inclusion
in the Squid sources.

The ToS is set by a setsockopt call. There exists code in Squid doing
this for outgoing connections, but not yet for client connections.

> Is there any way to know what data is from cache and what is
> directly from Internet (I talking about www pages all the time :) ?
>
> If it's possible to use iptables marks or make some change in
> <META> in cache data, I will know do I must limit trafic (with
> special iptables rules).

Another alternative is to use the delay pools feature of Squid for the
shaping. delay pools only applies to received trafffic, not cache
hits.