Re: Announce: squid-3.0PRE3 (release candidate)

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 23:45:28 +1000

On Sat, 2003-08-16 at 23:18, Evgeny Kotsuba wrote:

> Well. All those is missing in CVS's changelog

The .c->.cc migration was done by copying the 2.5 CVS module to a squid3
module, and renaming the RCS files. So there was no commits made that
CVS changelog can show. The commits to make the files C++ compatible are
there, but not the renames.

> And next point is that any human can realize only up to 7 points.
> Users will ask me what is difference from previous squid and is there
> any reasons to migrate from 2.3/2.4/2.5
> So it is desirable to have something like "7 main changes"

I'm not sure. '7 main changes' would be very hard to select. Theres over
a year of development between squid 2.5 and 3.0, and (as you can see)
many changes. In the release notes we already separate out the bug stuff
from the syntax changes.

Regarding desire to change 2.3->2.4->2.5:
2.3 is very unstable and has known security problems.
2.4 is not supported by the developers, except for our paying customers.
2.5 is the only supported-for-free version.

So, the only question is: why should folk migrate from 2.5 to 3.0.

To which there is one simple answer: Once 3.0 is released, and any
unnoticed early-issues identified, the developers will stop supporting
2.5 for free - bugfixes will only be done for 3.0. So the primary
motivation will be to have the most reliable/secure version. It's true
that 3.0 will start a little below 2.5 in terms of reliability, because
it's taken us so long to get it stable after all the changes, but even
allowing for that....

A more complex answer is:
I see no reason to care whether folk want to migrate to 3.0 or not. It's
their choice, and they can more or not as they desire, at their own
pace. I'm sure that folk wanting the new features in 3.0 will migrate
when they see fit.

My primary concern is to ensure that we have squid-3.0 as closely as
possible to the portability of squid-2.5, and stable enough for
production use. That will allow us to unfreeze HEAD, and get some of the
pending improvements in.

Cheers,
Rob