Re: Announce: squid-3.0PRE3 (release candidate)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:17:45 +0200

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 19.28, Anand Kumria wrote:

> - configuration for the common case is vastly simpler
> - cleanup http proxying versus http acceleration seperation
>
> : these two changes make it trivial to get squid up and running

I assume you refer to the accel mode only in the above two? The
changes in non-accel mode is barely nothing..

> - improved authentication infrastructure
>
> : Easily! hook up NTLM, LDAP, NIS, etc.

This is not news for Squid-3.0.. the same infrastructure exists in
Squid-2.5.

> - support encrypted peers, SSL gatewaying, SSL hardware
> acceleration - support for millions of clients
>
> : via epoll (Linux), kqueue (FreeBSD), completion ports(?)
> : (Win32)

These are still experimental features and need a fair bit of testing
before pushed for.

> - enhanced reliability via an automated test suite,

This is news, but not really visible to others than developers.

> - native Win32 port, take over ISA one server at a time

The win32 port is still a little experimental and an ongoing effort
and is not yet fully merged into Squid-3.

> Remember, "Lies, damned lies and marketing material". Or similiar.

Reading the release notes one more time I see several entries which
does not belong here as they came from Squid-2.5.