Re: squid-2.5 and coss

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 22:31:52 -0600 (MDT)

> Here's a fun suggestion from our friend Robert - how about creating a
> _directory_ instead of a file for the COSS cachedir? Then we can place
> the store logfile in there, the coss storefile in there _and_ any other
> metadata. It'd make life a whole lot easier and mean you won't get bitten
> by the requirement to specify swaplog paths..

The only reason not to do that is if we want to eventually support
using raw devices/partitions for COSS storage. I think it was one
of the original plans.

However, to do that, the current code would need some enhancements
to make sure that I/Os occur on 512-byte boundaries and are always
a multiple of 512 in size.

That might get around some 2GB file-size limits in some cases too.

Performance-wise, I suspect it doesn't matter. Using the filesystem
seems to give darn good throughput already.

DW