Re: squid-2.5 and coss

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 02:16:57 -0600

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003, Kinkie wrote:

> In fact, it's a common trend in current RDBMs: they're starting to favour
> storage areas on fileystems rather than on raw devices. Linux has better
> support for filesystem-based raw operations (O_DIRECT) than to raw devices
> proper.
>
> BTW: O_DIRECT would be a good approach to our FS I/O work but:
> - we need to be able to keep an object hot after reading it - the OS won't
> do it for us anymore
> - it only supports reading and writing on page boundaries, typically 4kb
> (we'd need to be able to pad)

I don't really think we should even look at O_DIRECT until we've
sorted out our own memory cache. The current "cache" isn't very
flexible.

I'd like to commit this change to squid-3 so I can start on some
dirty/alternate rebuild logic.

Duane, would you be willing to forward port your squid-2.5 COSS work
to squid-3? I'm currently evaluating Squid-3 for a cache here and
I'd like to test both epoll and COSS out.

Adrian