Re: Disk IO - coss and ufs with common IO engines.

From: Serassio Guido <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 23:03:05 +0200

Hi Robert,

At 09.55 30/08/2003, Robert Collins wrote:

>Well, time for a dilemma.
>
>I've been background-tasking on finishing the extraction of the IO logic
>from ufs, diskd, aufs and coss into a set of IO modules, that would then
>be usable from anywhere in squid - helpers, persistent logic routines
>etc.
>
>Well, I've completed 95% of that. The current code allows:
>coss with Blocking (ufs), DiskDaemon (diskd), DiskThreads (aufs) and AIO
>(coss) IO engines.
>ufs with the same four engines.
>
>The only step missing to be able to use the IO modules from anywhere is
>automatic registration to be 'synced' at shutdown, and 'callback()'
>checked on each io loop.
>
>And those two things are really sugar - not needed until the first
>application thereof.
>
>It's quite fun running COSS with the diskd engine :}.
>
>I really like this stuff - and will merge it as soon as it's 'ok' to do
>so.
>The code can be found from my www.squid-cache.org/~robertc/ homepage -
>the last link.
>Or, my robertc@squid-cache.org--squid/squid--disk-io--3.0 branch in
>arch.
>
>So, I'm off to dig into the last 3.0 blockers, so that this can be
>merged asap :}.
>
>Feedback on this branch is solicited - I'm -sure- there are quirks. API
>changes that can be improved upon, etc.

This is a very interesting thing:

For example it means that a Windows native awin32 fs based on aufs is no
more needed: all the magic can will be do from a Win32DiskThreads.

Very useful.

FYI: I have too a running Win32 AIO emulating Posix API, see nt branch.

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l.
Via Gorizia, 69 10136 - Torino - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.3249426 Fax. : +39.011.3293665
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/