NTLM status: update

From: Serassio Guido <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 12:32:42 +0100

Hi,

I have some interesting news about ntlm status.

I have found that the challenge reuse problem seems to be triggered from a
problem in Internet Explorer:

With IE 6 SP1, when browsing a ftp:// url, IE always pop-ups for
authentication when trying to download internal ftp icons from Squid.
But changing the IE default security settings for Internet Zone from "User
Authentication->Logon->Prompt for user name and password" to "User
Authentication->Logon->Automatic logon with current username and password"
seems to avoid the problem.

In IE 5.01 this behaviour doesn't happens, even with same default security
settings of IE 6

So now I'am using the following acl structure in squid.conf to work aroud
the IE 6 SP1 problem:

acl internal_icons urlpath_regex [-i] \/squid-internal-static/icons/$
acl test proxy_auth REQUIRED

http_access allow internal_icons
http_access allow test
http_access deny all

I think that in squid this anomalous browser behaviour is not handled
correctly, causing the wrong NTLM challenge reuse.

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l.
Via Gorizia, 69 10136 - Torino - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.3249426 Fax. : +39.011.3293665
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/