From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 06:03:26 +0100 (CET)

Does your server respond with "Connection: keep-alive"?

Is server side persistent connections enabled in your squid.conf?

Please note that even if there is persistent connections there is no
guarantee that two requests from the client will be sent to the server on
the same connection. In fact in many cases this will not be the case.
Per request Squid uses the first free connection it finds to the server,
and only if there is no free existing connections is a new connection
opened.