Re: FAQ

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:44:11 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, Gerard Eviston wrote:

> Any reason why a docbook FAQ might be a bad idea? Advice from others that have
> been down this road would be much appreciated.

I don't care either way. docbook is more flexible but at the same time a
little more strict than linuxdoc however.. (linuxdoc is very forgiving,
or at least I find so)

I do however find the "linear/chapter" structure of the FAQ being a book a
little struggling. It is sometimes very hard to tell exacly where a
question belongs, and often it belongs little here little there..

For easier maintenance it would be beneficial if FAQ entries was simply
collected "in a bag" and then sorted based on keywords etc into chapters,
iwth the same question possibly linked at more than one place. But I am
far from an SGML/XML expert to tell if this can easily be done without
using a intermediary storage format. Ideas welcome.

Does anyone know of other projects trying to have a FAQ as large as ours?
Maybe good advices on what to do (or not) can be found there.

> Consider this also a call for fellow volunteers.

There is at least one user who just have got started updating the FAQ
content. Dodjie Nava <dpnava@mozcom.com>. You may want to keep him in the
loop.

My main interest is more on the level of having correct information in the
FAQ. I do not really care what format it is written in, how it gets there
etc.