Re: Squid logfile >2GB problem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 21:47:24 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Duane Wessels wrote:

> It looks to me like the --enable-large-files trick simply adds
> -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 to the compiler flags, so it seems relatively
> harmless.

In addition to enabling support for large files this increases the size of
all the file size related data types from 32 bits to 64 bits, and also
increases the maximum allowed object size.

The code has not at all been audited if this is safe and is why the flag
does not exists in 2.5. It is known there is quite many casts to int, and
I see it quite likely there is at least some wrong usage.

In addition this modifies the on-disk storage for the same reason and the
cache is not compatible between 32 and 64 bit file offset Squid binaries.