Re: New NTLM code - First feedback

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 01:46:15 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Serassio Guido wrote:

> - no more authentication pop-ups at all

Excellent.

> - the authentication process seems to be more fast
> - the helper's usage seems lower

Do you have challenge reuses enabled? Well, I suppose not as you said you
had been running the patch for 3 days. Challenge reuses was broken until
today...

So you are comparing with challenge reuses disabled. Save from the bugs in
the old code there is no speed improvements in Squid here. Only slowdowns
if challenge reuses are enabled.

I suspect you are using a broken MSIE version which caused the old code to
feel much slower than needed.

MSIE6 SP1 + latest security hotfix is broken or at least very confused
about what it is doing with it's own connections, and they still do not
get the connection management state correct. This version of MSIE quite
often sends yet another NEGOTIATE packet after successful authentication
which before the patch triggered a new NTLM handshake. The new code
silently ignores these as the connection is already authenticated.

> Henrik: a very beautiful work !!!, the best compliments :-)

Thanks ;-)

Also have patches fixing always/never_direct, cache_peer_access etc in the
queue thanks to a user who contracted us for having these fixed, and while
fixing these I stumpled over the problems fixed by the patch you have been
testing.. Waiting for confirmation from the customer before commit.

There is still a few memory leaks to hunt down, and assertion failures on
shutdown. But all of these did exists before the patch as well so I don't
care that much about these yet.