Re: Web Caching

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 02:07:42 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Viktor Vitebski wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone can help me get started on some possible code
> modifications. Can anyone tell me where in the source code the caching of
> web pages and/or images found using the html meta data is found. At least in
> what file, I have only started my search but if anyone knows it could save
> me some time and effort. Thanks in advance.

Squid does not parse HTML or metadata, if simply caches whatever objects
(URLs) the clients requests from it.

If the client only requests the HTML content, only the HTML gets cached.

If the client parses the HTML and then requests inlined objects such as
images, stylesheets etc, then these will also get cached.

If you detail a little on what kind of modifications you plan to do we can
better guide you where to look and how to best approach your problem
within Squid.

Please keep discussion regarding the code on the squid-dev mainling list.
Policy for subscribing to the list can be found at
http://www.squid-cache.org/mailing-lists.html#squid-dev