Re: intent to drop a new 3.0 feature into CVS..

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:05:49 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Robert Collins wrote:

> I plan on dropping my authentication cleanups into cvs at the end of
> this week.

Fine by me.

My view is that Squid-3 is currently unfrozen. The list of bugs is simply
too long to claim it is reasonable to fork Squid-3.0 to let it stabilize
for a STABLE release, and it has taken way to long time to get them fixed
making it a too big hinderance for further developments to not allowing
new features at this point in time.

> The main reason to do so is not the cleanups themselves (although they
> are important :}), but rather the unit tests that I've put with them -
> which demonstrate how to do unit tests to core bits of squid that
> require much of squid linked in and initialised.

A very good reason to get this into HEAD.

> the removal of the auth_modules.sh script - modules are activated by
> linking, movement towards a consistent method based api, the separation
> of scheme(ntlm/digest/basic) and configuration

Good.

the auth_modules.sh thingy is mostly a C hack to get around the fact that
there is no way of activate stuff by linking like there is in C++.