Re: Question on domain controller load balancing

From: Andrew Bartlett <abartlet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:02:42 +1000

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 11:44, Yimin Chen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I saw on the Squid documentation that Squid supports load balancing between
> domain controllers for NTLM authentication. I am wondering how was that
> achieved considering now squid is using Samba's ntlm_auth tool to
> authentication the user? The password server is specified in the Samba
> configuration files statically, does Squid changes the configuration file
> in the run time to make winbindd to use different domain controllers each
> time to load balance?
>
> I would really appreciate if you could clarify for me!

Squid plays no role in configuring Samba, it only uses ntlm_auth, and
expects Samba to be correctly (and independently) configured.

The references to load balancing are, I think, to the old helpers, which
both imposed a much higher load on the domain controllers, and contacted
them directly (using a basic SMB library known as smbval).

Andrew Bartlett