Re: Content Filtering

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 16:53:41 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Tres Seaver wrote:

> IANAL, bu wouldn't it be truer to say that the GPL does not allow
> *distribution* of Squid linked with software under non-GPL-compatible
> licenses?

True. As long as you do not distribute you are free to do pretty much
anything you like for your own personal use (including internally
within the company).

But it should be noted that the module will with no doubt inherit the GPL
status if it does as much as includes a single GPL header from the GPL
program sources. (see also all sections below)

> And I am not sure that dynamic linking triggers the "derivative work"
> provisions, particularly if Squid continues to function without the presence
> of the library.

The general concensus is that it does, at least in the case when the thing
being dynamically linked is explicitly designed to be dynamically linked
into this GPL program. And certainly so if the dynamically linked item
needs to make any calls into the GPL component to perform it's function.
But this usually this question sorts out quite naturally from the clear
cut GPL depencencies mentioned above.

> Note particulary:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins

Indeed. A GPL program can be designed to support plugins in such manner
that the plugins does not need to be GPL licensed. A good example is to be
able to use existing plugins written for another software and built using
SDKs for that other software. Or when the module interface is defined
using a less aggressive license allowing the module interface to be
defined as a GPL boundary.

> and the use of the word "believe" in that language. The GPL itself does not
> mention dynamic linking at all.

It does not really need to. dynamic linking is little more than delayed
linking, and it has a very clear position on linking. But it is true that
this part of the GPL has not yet been tested in the corts.

Note: Anything said in this message regarding the GPL is my personal
opinions. If you need legal advice regarding GPL inheritance please get
legal advice from your lawyer or other authorized party.