Re: Content Filtering

From: Jon Kay <jkay@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 16:25:40 -0500

Tres Seaver wrote:

> Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>
> > Note: Squid is GPL and as a result you are only allowed to use GPL
> > modules with Squid. If your filter implementation is not GPL then
> > dynamic linking is not an option.
>
> IANAL, bu wouldn't it be truer to say that the GPL does not allow
> *distribution* of Squid linked with software under non-GPL-compatible
> licenses?
>
> See:
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCGPLRequireSourcePostedPublic
>
> and:
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#InternalDistribution
>
> And I am not sure that dynamic linking triggers the "derivative work"
> provisions, particularly if Squid continues to function without the
> presence of the library.
>
> Note particulary:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins
>
> and the use of the word "believe" in that language. The GPL itself does
> not mention dynamic linking at all.

Interesting question, since with dynamic linking, it's the recipient of the
software that creates the, er, mixed work. And since he doesn't redistribute
the in-memory running image, everything might well be kosher GPLwise.
Might well be a real GPL loophole here..... I think I can see an argument to
be
made on the other side, though.... (e.g., it talks like linking and walks like
linking...)

Of course, the ultimate solution to not being sued is to make sure nobody
feels
like a victim of your actions....

Jon Kay pushcache.com - "push done right"
             Squid consulting / installation