Re: regarding the auto* tools

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 23:17:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Olivier Girondel wrote:

> As you might now i'm working on the icap-2_5 branch of
> the CVS; i have a little question regarding auto* tools and their
> versions:
>
> $ ./bootstrap.sh
> WARNING: Cannot find automake version 1.5
> Trying automake (GNU automake) 1.7.9
> WARNING: Cannot find autoconf version 2.13
> Trying autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59
> autoheader2.50: WARNING:

Squid-2.5 is built using automake 1.5 + the fixconditionals patch and
autoconf 2.13, no other versions of the autotools.

> What are the guidelines regarding these tools ? Should i
> try to bring the configuration scripts to match recent version of
> those tools (like am/1.7.9 and ac/2.59 here) ?

This is not done within the Squid-2.5 release, but what you do within the
ICAP branch is basically up to you and the other maintainers of the ICAP
patch. It may be confusing to users however if they need different
versions of the autotools for Squid-2.5+icap than Squid-2.5 so I recommend
sticking to the versions used by Squid-2.5.

The fixconditionals patch is found here:

   http://devel.squid-cache.org/amake/