Re: Squid-2.5 changes

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:23:21 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Evgeny Kotsuba wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:00:23 +0100 (CET)
> Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org> wrote:
>> Hi Guido, and thanks for making many small FreeBSD cleanups in Squid-2.5.
>>
>> However, with Squid-2.5 being in the STABLE cycle all changes except purely
>> cosmetic changes
>
> What about bug 1220 ?

Not considered a bug, merely a shortcoming.

Should be addressed reasonably before Squid-3.0. And maybe in Squid-2.5
after 2.5.STABLE9 (which is due in a few days only).

The proposed patch is not complete, nor correct. There is very good
reasons why html_quote is there in the first place, and it is not safe to
remove this call. Any HTML reserved characters MUST be encoded.

What may be OK is a "8 bit something" config flag making html_quote pass
thru characters >127, and blindly assuming the character encodings are
correctly done.

But I am very doubtful about the unescaping of the requested URL. In
addition the convertUrlToHumanReadable() function added is effectively a
dupplicate of the already existing rfc1738_unescape() function.