Re: Squid-2.5 changes

From: Evgeny Kotsuba <evgen__k@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 02:22:24 +0300

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:23:21 +0100 (CET)
  Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Evgeny Kotsuba wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:00:23 +0100 (CET)
>> Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi Guido, and thanks for making many small FreeBSD cleanups in
>>>Squid-2.5.
>>>
>>> However, with Squid-2.5 being in the STABLE cycle all changes except
>>>purely
>>> cosmetic changes
>>
>> What about bug 1220 ?
>
> Not considered a bug, merely a shortcoming.
Well, consider you will see chinese letters intstead of english when
you go to any ftp - it will be shortcoming ?
Againg, there was no such bug in 2.5s5 and earlier

> Should be addressed reasonably before Squid-3.0. And maybe in
>Squid-2.5 after 2.5.STABLE9 (which is due in a few days only).
>
> The proposed patch is not complete, nor correct.
May be I am missing somethig, but I see all "human readable " parts
 of generated html page propelly encoded, as you can see at
 screnshort http://www.laser.ru/evgen/soft/Squid2/ftp_8bitCoding.png
 for reported ftp.

> There is very good
>reasons why html_quote is there in the first place, and it is not
>safe to remove this call. Any HTML reserved characters MUST be
>encoded.
>
> What may be OK is a "8 bit something" config flag making html_quote
>pass thru characters >127, and blindly assuming the character
>encodings are correctly done.

> But I am very doubtful about the unescaping of the requested URL.
  URL should not be unescaping. But all text exept URL - should. In
any case convert all 8-bit characters in text part of generated html
to iso-8859-1 is not "politically correct" and mathematically right

>In
>addition the convertUrlToHumanReadable() function added is
>effectively a dupplicate of the already existing rfc1738_unescape()
>function.

Yes, I find it a bit after bugreport was made.

SY,
Evgeny Kotsuba