Re: ICAP patches for squid-2.5.STABLE8

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 18:54:31 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Christos Tsantilas wrote:

> I would like to help more on develpment squid-2.5 ICAP branch.

Great!

> I am goint to try but please do not abuse me about the result.....

> My only problem is that I don't know if I will have enough time
> for maintaining the icap branch.

It doesn't require very much time, most of the routine job is automated
using scripts. The main criteria is being able to take the time required
to run these scripts and fix up conflicts when required to keep the patch
up to date.

> I am spending most of my spare time for c-icap developement. But, on the
> other hand, c-icap without a good icap enabled proxy, has not any reason
> to exists...

If you use Squid-ICAP in your testbed then maintenance becomes quite
natural. As long as one is keeping the maintenance reasonably active it is
not much of a burden. Problem only arises when a long time passes allowing
the amount of changes between the branch and the current version to
accumulate, making conflicts harder to resolve.

The Squid development process is a fairly open process as you can see on
http://devel.squid-cache.org/. But for a development or branch of Squid to
keep active requires one or two developers actively caring for it. As
already expressed in this thread the ICAP branch is currently a bit on the
low edge of amount of developers working on it.

> I am spending most of my spare time for c-icap developement.

Same for me, but Squid ;-)

> But, on the other hand, c-icap without a good icap enabled proxy, has
> not any reason to exists...

And ICAP enabled Squid is very powerful, and available for all to deploy
their ICAP solutions.

> May I ask, do you know someone (individual or company) which work on
> icap client for squid-3?

I plan to start working on ICAP for Squid-3 before the summer.
Unfortunately Squid-2.5 maintenance (including my Squid-2.5 branches; ssl,
custom_log, icap_streaming, rproxy, collapsed_forwarding,
external_acl_fuzzy and a few more) is still taking up too much of my
available time to allow me to focus fully on Squid-3 just yet, but the
number of unresolved bugs in Squid-2.5 is steadily declining even if some
new bugs is introduced every now and then so things are looking very
optimistic.