Re: Odd HTTP response codes

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 15:19:38 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> After updating to STABLE8 and the post-patches, I got another in my mail
> today, and it's always the same site:
>
> 1109296746.064 9824 xxxxxxxx.client.internal.hawkerc.net
> TCP_MISS/179897680 1618 GET
> http://pimg.163.com/search_js/so_sports_icon.gif xxxxxxx
> DIRECT/61.177.95.40 text/html
>
> I've not tried to get a trace, sorry.

I thought it has already been concluded the server is broken and sending
"odd" HTTP status codes in certain conditions.

Exacly why the server is broken is unknown, but it looks like they are
running some modified version of Squid as reverse proxy infront of their
server, and this sometimes rejects requests and sending bad status codes
when doing so.

So in other words, the odd HTTP response codes you see in your logs is
real, in the sense that this was the response code given by the web server
to your Squid.