Re: Odd HTTP response codes

From: Andrew Bartlett <abartlet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 08:10:20 +1100

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 15:19 +0100, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> > After updating to STABLE8 and the post-patches, I got another in my mail
> > today, and it's always the same site:
> >
> > 1109296746.064 9824 xxxxxxxx.client.internal.hawkerc.net
> > TCP_MISS/179897680 1618 GET
> > http://pimg.163.com/search_js/so_sports_icon.gif xxxxxxx
> > DIRECT/61.177.95.40 text/html
> >
> > I've not tried to get a trace, sorry.
>
> I thought it has already been concluded the server is broken and sending
> "odd" HTTP status codes in certain conditions.

I must have missed that.

> Exacly why the server is broken is unknown, but it looks like they are
> running some modified version of Squid as reverse proxy infront of their
> server, and this sometimes rejects requests and sending bad status codes
> when doing so.
>
> So in other words, the odd HTTP response codes you see in your logs is
> real, in the sense that this was the response code given by the web server
> to your Squid.

Should squid filter such responses, and turn them back into a generic
protocol error? In the same way that my scripts were not expecting
these status codes, I wonder if squid should protect clients by ensuring
that the HTTP status code is in the range normally acceptable? Or is
this a can of worms you would rather not open :-)

Andrew Bartlett