Re: Implementing a new caching algorithm.

From: Nick Lewycky <nicholas@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:40:29 -0500

Chris Mai wrote:
> Hi my name is Chris Mai and I am a student from University of Western Ontario.
> I am parrt of a group and we are trying to add a new caching algorithm
> to Squid. The caching algorithm that we are trying to implement is a
> predictive algorithm, and so we were wondering if you could help us
> locate where the request are sent out to the origin server as well as
> where the returned request are processed and sent back to the client.
> We need to know this so we know how to send the predicted request, and
> where to intercept the request before it is sent back to the client.
> Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like my branch, HTML Prefetching. Analyze HTML that goes through
Squid and fetch the embedded objects. Is that right?

   http://devel.squid-cache.org/projects.html#prefetching

Currently, my numbers show a small to large slow down against non
prefetching requests. In theory, it should never show worse numbers.

If this is your project, I'd very much appreciate an extra pair of
hands. There's a lot of work left to do.

Thanks,
Nick Lewycky