originserver plus carp configuration?

From: Joe Cooper <>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 18:14:41 -0500

Hey Henrik and all,

I've got a reverse proxy running Squid with the following cache_peer

cache_peer parent 80 7 originserver no-query carp
cache_peer parent 80 7 originserver no-query carp

The cache_peer_domain settings are there because we have 6 back-end
servers serving 3 domains--two servers for each domain.

The whole configuration is working, except for load balancing. Without
"carp" I always get FIRST_UP_PARENT/ With "carp" I always
get CARP/, no matter what IP I'm coming from (and I tried a
half dozen client IPs to be sure I wasn't just coincidentally always
hashing to the same destination).

What am I doing wrong?