Re: cvs commit: squid/src cachemgr.c

From: Takahiro Kambe <>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 00:13:38 +0900 (JST)

In message <Pine.LNX.4.61.0504260645270.26647@localhost.localdomain>
        on Tue, 26 Apr 2005 07:12:26 +0200 (CEST),
        Henrik Nordstrom <> wrote:
> It's true that it is annoying to some that the patches is updated,
> certainly so on cosmetic fixes such as the one in cachemgr.c, but most
> often the patch updates are quite critical in nature (fixing bugs in the
> published patch) and the old patch should no longer be used or referenced.
> For us it is a feature that this breaks distfiles, as it prevents rebuilds
> using the broken patch.
Completely broken patch which can not be used to patch should be
replaced. But after that, I wish farther changes would be done by
another patch incrementally.

Or I would happy patch files are under some time stamped directories.

So, latest patches are under latest date of directory.

> IMHO package maitainers should only include the patches seen absolutely
> required by your QA of the packaged release. Generally you should wait
> until the next release making both yours and our life easier. For package
> maintainers the patches is mainly provided in case your QA policy does not
> allow updating to the new STABLE release and requires backporting of the
> relevant changes after the new release is published.
But once I choose to using a patch, previous patch needs to be applied
and always fear chosen patch files would be modified suddenly.

(And package maintainer are sensitive "security fix" patches.)

Anyway, this is my little wish.

Takahiro Kambe <>