Re: future of icap-patch

From: Tsantilas Christos <chtsanti@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 11:58:09 +0300

Hi,

Ok the news for icap-patch for squid are not good.
I am putting some effort and I believe that day by day
will become more stable.

Baumgaertel Oliver wrote:

> I've taken a look at 2.5.STABLE9 and managed
>sofar to apply all the patches but the 2Gig one to this combination,
>creating a thing that crashes sometimes 3 times within one hour. For us

I am sure that the most of crashes came from the icap patch. Try the
latest icap patch (last week)
it corrects some of the most often crashes.
The latest reports, said that squid-icap was worked for more than 50
hours without problem on
a busy proxy server. It is not good but it is better that the 3 times
per hour.
(After these hours just stopped to talk to the icap server, maybe a problem
within the icap server query code, if you are looking for bugs.... :-) )

>However I put it, I am on the loosing end. I could start to write an icap
>version for S3, but I have also to make that same code run in S2.

My opinion is that the icap-client for squid3 must start from scratch.
Forget the current code
for squid 2. It is problematic.
I had thoughts about starting an icap client for squid3 but in practice
I have not the time to do.
Moreover I believe that this project must start by a person who has a
clear view of squid design,
in order to prevent in squid3 the problems which has the current squid-icap.

For squid2, you have to report bugs and send patches, which corrects
some of the problems, until the version for squid3 will be available.
For squid 2 maybe I can report some tests which can be done, for someone
who looking for bugs in squid-icap and I have in my mind some pieces of code
which must be rewritten in order to make squid-icap faster and more stable.

Regards,
        Christos