Re: cvs commit: squid/src cachemgr.c

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 15:59:36 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, Takahiro Kambe wrote:

> But once I choose to using a patch, previous patch needs to be applied
> and always fear chosen patch files would be modified suddenly.

I have now extended our patch management tools slightly to allow a slight
change in the patch policy based on your suggestion. When a published
patch is updated a version number is now added to the patch. This scheme
has already been put into use as can be seen in the
squid-2.5.STABLE9-dns_query patch which is now at version 3
(squid-2.5.STABLE9-dns_query-3.patch).

Each new revision of a patch replaces the earlier versions entirely. Only
if there is overlaps with another patch inbetween the changes is an
incremental patch published.

Broken versions of patches which in our opinion should not be used will be
deleted to ensure dist builds or other direct links to the patch file
notice the change and stops some people from rebuilding versions with
known broken patches.

If there is only minor fixes to the patch the old patch may stay in the
patch directory but not visibly linked anymore, allowing dist builds to
still use the old version of the patch.

Our policy wrt patches and stable releases has also been expressed more
clearly on the patch page, stating that the patches to the current STABLE
version represents works in progress and has not yet undergone full QA
checks.

It is also our clear preference that binary package wendors try to adhere
to the STABLE releases as closely as possible.