Squid Network Logging Patch

From: Mark Dierolf <mdierolf@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 09:04:40 -0700

Squid Devs,

I have developed a patch to 2.5 which allows you to broadcast the logfiles to
another machine - check http://3e0.com/ for more info.

Basically, you stick in:

cache_access_log udp://hostname:port
cache_store_log udp://hostname:port

and on the receiving host you would run something like netcat to receive the
logs and store them on disk/pipe them to another program/etc.

So, for example,

--On squid host--
cache_access_log udp://log1.3e0.com:1900
--On logging host--
nc -u -l -p 1900 > access.log

The patch is located at http://3e0.com/squid-2.5.STABLE9-networklogging.patch

I am using udp for the packets, so there is no guarantee the data will ever
get to the logging host, much less in the correct order.

Please do with it what you will.

Thanks,
Mark Dierolf
smark@3e0.com