Re: net ads user info group authenticator

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 23:46:47 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Joe Cooper wrote:

> Interestingly, wbinfo -t still works, and the rest of the NTLM authentication
> stuff works.

Ok.

> Even a wbinfo -a user%pass works.

Neither does this..

> My understanding is that the net commands are The Way of the Future, and are
> designed to mirror the Windows net commands. That's not to say they are
> stable--but they are being recommended as the right way to interact with the
> AD.

Ok.

> I'm guessing something changed in the AD during the upgrade, though I haven't
> had time to dig around in the MS knowledge base and google to see what.

Quite likely they changed something which broke Samba in subtle ways,
either intentionally or unintentionally. This has happened a number of
times, most recently with W2K3 SP1 for which there is not yet a Samba fix
from what I have seen..

> This box has been working fine for over a year with the same
> configuration...the last Samba upgrade from a few months ago, and went
> without a hitch. So I blame Windows.

Would be a good idea to talk to the Samba people to see what they have to
say about these two threads (wbinfo vs net for getting group membership
info, or what broke Samba in the AD upgrade)