Re: I want to contribute with squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:19:39 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005, Leandro Scott R.Z. Jacques wrote:

> I'm Leandro and I study computer science at a catholic university in
> Brazil, in the end of this year I'll have my diploma.

Welcome to squid-dev!

> Well, my interest with squid is because I'm doing a university
> assignment and my proposition is try to make the performance of web
> cache servers better when dealing with dynamic content pages.

Interesting and quite complex subject.

There is already several related studies on the subject over the years
some of which may help you, and also a number of technical proposals. I
don't have a ready made list for you but most references can be found from
http://www.web-caching.com/

Here is a small collection of references I have found from there:

    Active Cache: Caching Dynamic Contents on the Web.
    <url:http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~cao/papers/active-cache.html>

    DynaCache: Weaving Caching into the Internet
    <url:http://wwwcache.ja.net/events/workshop/34/dynacache_paper.pdf>

    Cooperative Caching of Dynamic Content on a Distributed Web Server.
    <url:http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~tyang/papers/>

    Exploiting Result Equivalence in Caching Dynamic Web Content.
    <url:http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~tyang/papers/>

but I am sure there is more.

As you maybe have discovered already the areas you will cover range all
from minor technical details, HTTP protocol extensions and compliance,
client side support and to up high level administrative and roles and
responsibilities in the content publishing chain.

Do you have any idea on what starting point is most interesting to you?