Mini code-sprint report

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 19:37:18 +0200 (CEST)

There has been good progress on the Negotiate code sprint, and from what
it looks Negotiate support will go into Squid-3 some time tomorrow (some
small bugs left to fix first).

There was also some talk about what to do with the Squid-2 code base.
There is very a large list of completed features developed for Squid-2.5
over the years and then ported and merged to Squid-3, but in reality
production environments are all running the Squid-2.5 versions with
different amounts of extra patches today. Not surprising given the fact
that Squid-2.5 has been feature frozen for 3 years now.

The general consensus among the code sprint participants (Henrik, Kinkie &
our kind host Guido) is that there is a benefit in collecting all of this
already existing and proven Squid-2.x work into a Squid-2.6 release. It is
a fairly low effort, especially considering that each of these pieces have
been fairly well validated separately both by Squid developers and
independenly by numerous users of these features, but will buy us a great
deal in momentum while working on Squid-3.0 to stabilize.

List of things we have thought of include in a Squid-2.6 release include

   - cbdatareference
   - windows cygwin service support
   - negotiate (+ NTLM cleanup)