Re: Summary of Squid-2.6 opinions

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 09:40:22 -0700 (MST)

> No answer yet:
>
> * Duane Wessels
> * Robert Collins

I have mixed feelings about 2.6.

On one hand I think "2.5" has lived too long and it looks bad that
we have not incremented the stable branch number for years.

But on the other hand I feel cheated because I remember being scolded
for adding things to the squid-2-head branch when others had decided
that it would become a dead end. Like you I suppose, I have a
number of little 2.5 features and fixes that I use on my own squids,
which I have been reluctant to commit for those reasons.

My company has taken on development projects with the understanding
that all future work will go into squid-3. As part of that work
we have promised spend time on making squid-3 stable. We still
intend to do that.

Looking at the current wishlist for 2.6 I think it is too long and
too ambitious. I would rather that people spend time on squid-3,
but that is perhaps a selfish reason.

Duane W.