Re: Summary of Squid-2.6 opinions

From: Evgeny Kotsuba <evgen__k@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 13:51:19 +0300

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 23:17:12 +0100 (CET)
  Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Evgeny Kotsuba wrote:
>
>> * UI patches (!) including usage of sound at errors/warnings and
>>visual
>> effects at errror/warning ( as sample -
>> http://www.laser.ru/evgen/soft/Squid2/squid2screan.gif )
>
> We are not going to add this to 2.6. These kind of things belongs in
>a log viewer, not the log format as such.
heh,
This thing was not intended for log viewer, but as debug and/or
  squid's admin's sound warning:
- If we change config and make error, then we don't see what is
wrong in case if
(a) we start squid in daemon mode (detach mode for me) i.e. without
stdout to console
(b) there is a lot of characters on console, so we can't select
fast what's wrong
(c) there is still no info in squid 2.5 in some cases for some
errors. I.e. right user's message for config's error should be like
("ERROR: Some trouble is %n line of config (%s)", nLine, strLine);
   (I have fogot about this in proposed additions)

In case of detach/daemon mode admin can't see , but still can hear
beeps. Why not use this ?
Beeps can be done via" \a " for unixes and xxxBeep(freq,
 duration) for some other systems, color output to console - via
standard ANSI sequences

Well , all stuff can be enabled/disabled in config.

> But patches making the log format more consistent in indicating the
>serverity of a message is welcome.
The idea is that if we have "ERROR" or "WARNING" as first word in
message, than we can use color and/or beeps for this message, but
don't write this to logs.
The next idea is that "ERROR and "WARNING" is more noticeably than
"error" and "warning"

SY,
EK

> Regards