Re: Summary of Squid-2.6 opinions

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 14:29:56 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Evgeny Kotsuba wrote:

> In case of detach/daemon mode admin can't see , but still can hear beeps.

In detached daemon mode there is no console output at all. Only log file
output.

> Why not use this ?
> Beeps can be done via" \a " for unixes and xxxBeep(freq, duration) for
> some other systems, color output to console - via standard ANSI sequences

Not all consoles are capable of rendering ANSI sequences. And very many is
not capable of rendering colors.

If realtime coloring of the console output is desired this is best done by
pipeing the output via a suitable formatter adding the coloring and beeps
(i.e. runtime log viewer application).

But for a formatter/log viewer to be able to correctly process the log
consistent formatting of the logged data is required, and this is somewhat
missing from Squid today.

> The idea is that if we have "ERROR" or "WARNING" as first word in
> message, than we can use color and/or beeps for this message, but don't
> write this to logs.

As I tried to say earlier there is need to have this cleaned up in
the logs to clearly indicate the serverity of messages. Makes even more
sense to have these "ERROR"/"WARNING" tags well structured in the log file
than in the console output, and I find having different output for the
console or cache.log is mostly confusing.