Re: WCCPv2 support

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 03:39:23 +0100

ons 2006-03-15 klockan 15:08 +1300 skrev Reuben Farrelly:

> I've had big issues with a simple WCCPv1 setup in recent 12.4 code though and
> even bigger problems getting Cisco to admit it and fix it, although it does seem
> to be ok in the very latest releases (12.4(7) and 12.4(6)T). So be careful
> you're not testing against code which you aren't 100% certain works otherwise
> you'll waste a lot of time :( That aspect I can probably help with.

From what I have heard Cisco no longer mainains WCCPv1 support in their
routers. Probably even taken off from their quality control procedures.
Instead they seem to refer to WCCPv2 which is supposed to be a
officially supported feature..

> I was told in a Cisco WAFS course last week (which is in itself an interesting
> CIFS cache system that uses WCCPv2) that this hardware based L2 forwarding only
> works on the 6500 switches which means it's really for the high end of town.
> Everything else needs to use the GRE tunnel method.

Oh, well.. lazy IOS programmers to blaim for that I guess. Even if WCCP
isn't done fast-path just direct routing the packets instead of going
via the pain of GRE encapsulation is in theory considerably lighter for
the router to process. But I have never looked at the IOS code so I
can't tell.. but there may also be marketing reasons behind this..

In terms of protocol level functionality GRE is tchnically only needed
if you want to have the cache servers behind yet another router hop, or
in some very exotic configurations where the WCCPv2 GRE header details
may be interesting.. plain web caching works better without GRE..