Re: WCCPv2 support

From: Jeremy Hall <jehall@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 00:23:29 -0500

>>> Reuben Farrelly <reuben-squid-dev@reub.net> 03/14/06 9:08 PM >>>
To build, apply the patch this came from, basically the "unfinished"
work from the original author of wccpv2 support in suqid. Edit the
src/Makefile and put in wccpv2.whatever next to every place you see
wccp.whatever. Edit include/autoconf.h and make sure HAVE_WCCPv2 is
defined (note case of v, took me hours to figure that one out)
Next edit structs.h and change Config.Wccp2.router to be
Config.Wccp2.routers and make it a wordlist. Now edit cf.data.pre and
make an entry for wccp2_config_routers of type wordlist pointing to
Config.Wccp2.routers, and wconfig_wccp2_router_id to point to
Config.Wccp2.router_id. Add documentation at your option and then if
all goes well run make and make install. You'll get some warnings about
unused variables, but they are harmless. If you get stuck drop me a
note. I'm sure there's a more elogant way to do this but I never was
any good with autocrap so my suggestions may seem a bit unorthidox,
especially editing include/autoconf.h, so build suggestions welcome.
On 15/03/2006 2:34 p.m., Henrik Nordstrom wrote:_J
>> I'm excited for people to test this because it doesn't seem to crash
>> anything, well then there's the router that seems to have some wccp
>> bug in it, but I can't figure that out.
>
> Unfortunately I have no WCCP2 routers around to play with..

I do. As of right now I've got an 1721 + 1841 and two Redhat servers at
home
which I can possibly test with (and I'm interested in getting WCCPv2
support to
work with squid as a bit of a hobby).

I've had big issues with a simple WCCPv1 setup in recent 12.4 code
though and
even bigger problems getting Cisco to admit it and fix it, although it
does seem
to be ok in the very latest releases (12.4(7) and 12.4(6)T). So be
careful
you're not testing against code which you aren't 100% certain works
otherwise
you'll waste a lot of time :( That aspect I can probably help with.

I also have an old and now EOL Cisco Cache Engine 500 gathering dust if
you want
to see some WCCPv2 in action and watch how it works.

> More interesting in WCCPv2 is the ability to use L2 forwarding. This
> routes the traffic directly to the cache server without any GRE header
> which brings a number of nice benefits

I was told in a Cisco WAFS course last week (which is in itself an
interesting
CIFS cache system that uses WCCPv2) that this hardware based L2
forwarding only
works on the 6500 switches which means it's really for the high end of
town.
Everything else needs to use the GRE tunnel method.

If you'd like me to test please give me some detailed directions on
exactly how
I need to set it up and configure it and what to look for and ignore,
and I'll
give it a go. I know how to apply a patch, but I guess there's some
Makefile
editing to do which is where I'd become unstuck without a bit of
guidance...

reuben
(Field/Network Engineer)