Re: ftp request problems with 2.5.Stable12

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 01:13:38 +0100

ons 2006-03-22 klockan 14:07 +0100 skrev Baumgaertel, Oliver:

> I've sniffed a bit of the traffic and saw that Squid actually tries to
> "cwd" through the whole path, one layer at a time, while all others
> directly "cwd" into the target directory with one request.

See RFC1738 "3.2.2. FTP url-path" for why...

If you want to CWD directly into the diretory the /:es up to the last
one before the file name needs to be URL-encoded indicating a single
directory name with embedded / characters..

> So, is that a bug, or is it seen as a special feature? As far as I know,
> the rfc isn't very specific, but as all others do it the other way ...

As you can see above the RFC is very specific on this. But most others
do not care about the RFC on ftp:// URL format or interpretation, which
is a problem...

There is no intentions to break Squid to be as dumb as most others. But
Squid do have a lot of workarounds to attempt making
broken/non-compliant URLs work.