RE: ftp request problems with 2.5.Stable12

From: Baumgaertel, Oliver <oliver.baumgaertel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:32:30 +0100

>> I've sniffed a bit of the traffic and saw that Squid actually tries to
>> "cwd" through the whole path, one layer at a time, while all others
>> directly "cwd" into the target directory with one request.
> See RFC1738 "3.2.2. FTP url-path" for why...
>If you want to CWD directly into the diretory the /:es up to the last
>one before the file name needs to be URL-encoded indicating a single
>directory name with embedded / characters..

Well, that does of course not work with the IE (replaces the %2F before sending), which is unfortunately our companies only allowed one.

>> So, is that a bug, or is it seen as a special feature? As far as I know,
>> the rfc isn't very specific, but as all others do it the other way ...
>As you can see above the RFC is very specific on this. But most others
>do not care about the RFC on ftp:// URL format or interpretation, which
>is a problem...

Seems Squid is the only one caring for that. What about a possibility like with the underline containing domains? Meaning a config or compile time option to change the behaviour?

I am already fighting without much success to keep Squid around here, but that might very well be the last nail to its coffin. In the next weeks over 50% of our Squids will be replaced, as direct result of the feature freeze which kept for example ICAP out of the main branch. You must understand that a feature freeze of over 2 years and a non existing date for 3.0 is a real killer. Just to clearify that, I was originally hired to work solely on the Squid code, making it more stable/faster and feature complete. Because of the freeze I was not allowed to do anything for the community and I must say I am heavily frustrated. So, instead of pushing opensource with it, we pump half a million € in new hardware appliances (BlueCoats).

I doubt that too many other companies will keep up with that either.

Sorry for the rant,
Oliver Baumgaertel