Re: squid-2.5 related work

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 02:29:07 +1000

On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 21:12 +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 14, 2006, Robert Collins wrote:
>
> > > But being able to do temporarily disconnected versioned work without
> > > having to worry about resyncing does feel tempting, so maybe it's time
> > > to start looking for an alternative to CVS.
> >
> > bzr 0.8 in beta now fixes many of the issues bazaar 1 [aka arch] had.
> >
> > Specifically - there is no extra namespace, you just work with branches
> > at urls - equivalent to just having multiple CVS trees on disk, but with
> > disconnected work built in. It also solves the 'shared repositories are
> > hard' aspects of arch, and includes a drop-in replacement mode for CVS
> > users.
> >
> > Yes, proslytising a little here.
>
> Heh. I'm working with a couple of the monotone developers and they
> spent much time explaining how monotone would work well in the squid
> development environment.
>
> So, how about squid-2.5 development? People want it!

Given a choice, I'd rather we got 3.0 DONE.

But, I prefer to have folk hacking where they want to, on 2.5 etc than
be putting them off.

It took apache a long time to transition to a good 2.0 as well, I see
where we are as no different than that - as long as we want to have 3.0
come out eventually, and dont let it bitrot, we should make it
eventually.

Rob