Re: config.test fragments

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 00:26:12 +0200

sön 2006-04-23 klockan 21:17 +1000 skrev Robert Collins:
> seems to me that if we exported all the autoconf values during a
> config.test run, they would be more portable: see for instance Guido's
> recent commit to probe /usr/local as well: unless CPPFLAGS are set
> correctly that test won't help (because while its on the system, its not
> available).

The config.test thingy is simply to make life easier for the wast
majority of users. The users still have the option to tell configure
which helpers they want if the automatic tests fails.

What I have seen in other projects for solving this problem is usually
the following approach:

Each sub-program (or in some cases linkable module) is a project of it's
own, with it's own configure. If this configure finds that the
requirements is not met the sub-project Makefile defaults to build (and
install) nothing.