Re: config.test fragments

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 22:52:38 +0200

Hi Henrik,

At 22.24 24/04/2006, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

>As I said earlier the config.test thingy is only to make life easy for
>the majority of users, not meant to be a foolprof thing always enabling
>the exact right list of helpers. There is always the option to either
>
>a) Specify to configure the exact list of helpers you want to have
>built.
>
>b) Go into the directory of the needed helper and run "make install".
>
>As it's easy for the user to add helpers when needed the config.test
>files should be very conservative in when a helper is automatically
>enabled. If there is any reason to doubt it's much much better it
>reports no than a false positive causing the build to fail. Users
>needing a helper not built by default always have motivation how to
>figure out how to build the needed helper, but users who see the build
>failing in something they don't need and didn't ask for only gets
>irritated claiming it's a bug that must be fixed..

I don't agree here:

For me a so dissimilar configure behaviour on different platform is a
very confusing thing for people.

I think that the "config.test" magic should be true for all platform
or for none: the "majority of users" is a too much indeterminate concept.

Regards

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/