Re: config.test fragments

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:49:05 +1000

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 01:53 +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> mån 2006-04-24 klockan 22:52 +0200 skrev Guido Serassio:
>
> > I think that the "config.test" magic should be true for all platform
> > or for none: the "majority of users" is a too much indeterminate concept.
>
> By majority I refer to the users who have the needed components in the
> base system, not as third-party addon packages. I am entirely happy with
> people wanting to build helpers dependent on third-party packages to
> have to do a little more work to indicate they want these helpers build.
>
> If this is not an acceptable goal for the automated selections of which
> helpers to build then I propose we drop the config.test hack entirely,
> and work on a more bullet prof approach.
>
> My suggestion for an alternative is to provide a configure script in
> each helper directory doing the needed probes, and if requirements is
> not met the Makefile in that helper directory defaults to build and
> install nothing. This would also remove some of the unneeded burden from
> the top-level configure making it easier to maintain.
>
> These configure scripts should take an --enable-basic-auth-helper-NCSA
> (or --disable..) to indicate user preference about if this helper should
> be built, overriding the decision made based on the probes. Most likely
> there should be a --disable-basic-auth-helpers option as well to disable
> building all helpers unless explicitly enabled.
>
> In this design there is no special flags or tests in the main configure
> script for telling which helpers to build. The magic is entirely
> confined to each helper. And additionally configure flags for specifying
> what to build behave more naturally.

This is fine by me.

if we want to we can still support --enable-basic-auth-helpers=FOO - a
trivial acinclude.m4 can define a function like
SQUID_BASIC_HELPER_SELECTED('sasl')

which would check if this helper (sasl) is explicitly selected (sasl in
--enable-basic-auth-helper value) or implicitly (no explicit value, or
--all), or disabled (--without-basic-auth-helper=all OR sasl in
--without-basic-auth-helper value).

Thoughts?

Rob