Squid-3 release cycle

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 17:18:49 +0200

For those who have not been on the #squid-dev IRC channel lately I can
tell that the last weeks has been quite interesting.

The most significant news is that Doug Dixon (aka ganso on the IRC) has
volunteered for the role as Squid-3.0.PRE4 release manager. Expect a
message from him shortly presenting his ideas on how we can get there.

To follow up on a few questions from him regarding the current state:

The Squid-3 tree is currently best described as in DEVEL state, even if
it is carrying a PRE tag. The reason to this is that the original
Squid-3.0 release cycle could not be met due to various events and the
tree had to be unlocked again to allow for new developments.

The goal now should be to be able to enter PRE state again, with
ultimately a PRE4 release from where we can work towards the STABLE
release. I do not think there is any major changes waiting in queue for
getting into Squid-3, and imho "minor"/"isolated" features like WCCPv2
or a improved COSS may well get into the tree during a PRE cycle. But
there is a quite long list of bugs, both verified and to be analyzed
ones. Some critical, many not so critical ones..

Developers having new features in queue which they would like to get
into Squid-3.0 please speak up now, allowing for Doug to do his job
proper. As for all of us his time is somewhat limited and the timeframe
currently considered for a PRE4 release is not very distant.