Re: Squid-3 release cycle

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 09:52:18 +0200

Hi Henrik,

At 17.18 05/05/2006, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

>For those who have not been on the #squid-dev IRC channel lately I can
>tell that the last weeks has been quite interesting.
>
>The most significant news is that Doug Dixon (aka ganso on the IRC) has
>volunteered for the role as Squid-3.0.PRE4 release manager. Expect a
>message from him shortly presenting his ideas on how we can get there.

This is a very good news :-)

>To follow up on a few questions from him regarding the current state:
>
>The Squid-3 tree is currently best described as in DEVEL state, even if
>it is carrying a PRE tag. The reason to this is that the original
>Squid-3.0 release cycle could not be met due to various events and the
>tree had to be unlocked again to allow for new developments.
>
>The goal now should be to be able to enter PRE state again, with
>ultimately a PRE4 release from where we can work towards the STABLE
>release. I do not think there is any major changes waiting in queue for
>getting into Squid-3, and imho "minor"/"isolated" features like WCCPv2
>or a improved COSS may well get into the tree during a PRE cycle. But
>there is a quite long list of bugs, both verified and to be analyzed
>ones. Some critical, many not so critical ones..
>

>Developers having new features in queue which they would like to get
>into Squid-3.0 please speak up now, allowing for Doug to do his job
>proper. As for all of us his time is somewhat limited and the timeframe
>currently considered for a PRE4 release is not very distant.

In my queue there some minor changes related to MinGW & Windows support:
- configure.in & Makefile.am
- some additional source library for missing functions on Windows
(getopt, rusage, strtok_r)

The majority of this work is already present in the "nt" branch, but
I like to refactor something in a better way before the addition to HEAD.

I like too that the changes based on the old Roberts's IPC
refactoring work could go in Squid 3.0:
http://www.squid-cache.org/~robertc/ipc.refactoring.patch
http://www.squid-cache.org/~robertc/ipc.h

Currently these changes are included in the "nt" branch (they are
mandatory for Windows support) and I have opened the "ipc" branch
with all the changes:
http://devel.squid-cache.org/projects.html#ipc

But I have a big problem: my C++ knowledge is still not enough for
this job ... :-(
Some help on this could be very useful.

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/